Sierra Canyon School seeks a dynamic, innovative, and experienced music educator to start at the beginning of the 2021 - 2022 school year. We’re looking for candidates who seek to inspire students in the arts, exhibit excellence in the classroom, and are interested in working collaboratively and creatively with colleagues across divisions.
Sierra Canyon teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits and engage with students who are eager to learn. As an independent school, the school actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community.
The ideal candidate will possess most if not all of the following qualifications:
• Bachelors’ degree in Music Education or related field; Masters’ degree preferred.
• At least two years teaching/conducting experience; independent schools preferred.
• Strong vocal and piano skills in addition to experience with choir and instrumental music programs. Instrumental music could be band, jazz, orchestra or mixed ensembles.
• Ability to teach a range of classes, grades 6-12, and differentiate instruction including rewriting parts for varied instruments and ability levels.
• Self-starter with the desire and skills to grow a choral and instrumental music program using creative, interactive, and engaging teaching methods.
• Motivation to provide enrichment experiences for students, such as music competitions.
• The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a fast-paced academic community.
• The ability to work cross-curricularly with arts faculty in the Middle and Upper divisions, including 6th grade on the Lower Campus.
• Deep commitment to teaching and leading adolescents as well as working in an inclusive community.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Promote music as an important resource for the Sierra Canyon community and coordinate performance opportunities on the Upper Campus.
• Conduct choir, teach a foundational course for instrumental technique, and direct a more advanced mixed ensemble with various instruments.
• Instruct students in rotating electives such as, Music Appreciation, Music Theory, and Advanced Placement Music Theory.
• Accompany the choir, student performances, and after-school musical theater productions in addition to serving as the Vocal Director of musical productions.
• Document curriculum using curriculum mapping software.
• Serve as an Advisor for students in Middle or Upper School.
• Coordinate any Middle School after-school music program offerings.
• Coordinate with the Lower School music teacher to provide students in the middle grades with a coherent instructional program across Lower and Upper campuses.
• Serve as a community member by attending school and faculty gatherings, in-service days, weekly faculty meetings, and volunteering for coverage duties.
To apply, send a letter of interest, resume/CV, and a sample of your work to Associate Head of School, Deborah Monroe, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sierra Canyon School
Sierra Canyon School is a private, independent, non-sectarian, co-educational, college preparatory school for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12 located on two campuses within walking distance of each other in the northwest corner of Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. The highly cosmopolitan campus community is reflective of the Greater Los Angeles Area and the world at large where cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity are welcomed and celebrated. Students are empowered to realize their greatest creative, ethical, intellectual, and physical promise through small class sizes, a diverse student-teacher culture, and a community-focused learning environment.
BACK TO TOP
APAP Job Bank and Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else APAP has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at APAP Job Bank and Career Center.