Interlochen is the hub for youthful artistic energy, unlocking potential and unleashing capacity in the next generation of creative changemakers, leading inspired lives with enduring confidence. This is our internal rallying cry. It’s why we do what we do. How will you contribute? See what’s waiting for you at Interlochen.
Interlochen’s Jazz Studies in the Contemporary Music program offers students a curriculum in history, theory, improvisation, composition and arranging, rehearsal and performance experience with the Interlochen Jazz Orchestra and Combos, and opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration across the Interlochen Academy.
The Instructor of Jazz Piano teaches at the boarding arts school during the school year and has the opportunity for an additional contract for the three week jazz camp in the summer, and jazz intensive week. The Instructor of Jazz Piano works closely with the Director of Jazz Studies to develop curriculum and select repertoire and assists in the management of the Jazz Orchestra and Combo performances and touring.
The Instructor of Jazz Piano provides instruction in classroom and lesson settings, directs ensemble rehearsals and sectionals, manages the Jazz Piano Studio, participates in weekly Advisory and Community Meetings, and serves as a full member of the faculty, teaching and guiding young people in all of their artistic, academic and human development.
- teach weekly lessons to Jazz Piano majors
- teach classes, including Class Jazz Piano, Class Contemporary Piano, and Rhythm Sectional classes
- direct Jazz Combos
- lead performances, including running and assisting with soundchecks, rehearsals, evening performances, and student audition taping scheduled outside of regular school day hours
- teach additional classes as defined by Director of Jazz Studies and the Chair of Contemporary Music*
* Some of the needs of the Contemporary Music program may change from year to year due to program growth and enrollment needs. There may be additional teaching duties in Music Theory as needed.
- Off campus performances and touring with ensembles
- Lead an Advisory group
- Attend community meetings
- Perform in faculty concerts
- Recruit students for Interlochen
- Work with the Director of Jazz, Chair of Contemporary Music, and the Director of Music to identify the changing needs of currently enrolled students and be able to flexibly change coursework as needed or directed
- Seek the best use of materials, equipment and staff to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Comply with ICA policies/procedures and acts as a good steward of ICA finances
- Respect the culture, diversity and rights of all students, their families and the community
- Prioritize duties in a manner consistent with organizational objectives and growth
- Perform other duties as assigned