The Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center is the leading, year-round presenter of performing arts, film, educational, and family programs in a beautifully restored 1905 historic theater serving as a cultural hub for the Berkshires and neighboring communities.
The Mahaiwe offers over 120 events and welcomes over 30,000 patrons throughout the year.
Position Overview: House Manager duties will include, but are not limited to; volunteer usher recruitment, training, and scheduling: security coordination and training: concessions and merchandise management: theater cleaning management; regular box office coverage; administrative management, record keeping, and consistent communication across departments.
Time commitment: Schedule varies; nights and weekends required. [The position could be reconfigured to part-time/hourly for the right person, but would always require a minimum of 25 hours/week.]
Reports to: Associate General Manager (and works closely with Box Office Manager and Production Manager).
Pay Range: $42,000-47,000/year plus benefits (including health insurance, retirement plan, generous paid leave
Event House Management
- Maintain a clean, inviting, and professional atmosphere in customer-facing spaces throughout the theater.
- Post proper directional signage, relevant to each performance.
- Welcome patrons with friendly manner and answer questions regarding box office, event and theater history and downtown parking.
- Create a lasting impression of authentic hospitality to all patrons as they exit the building; warmly invite them to attend future performances.
- Ensure comfort, safety and security of patrons and performers throughout each event: including sidewalk, theater entry and exits.
- Consistently communicate with Production Manager for appropriate call-times such as house opening and closing calls.
- Assist ushers and patrons during an event’s intermission(s) by having a consistent presence in theater and lobby.
- Work with or serve as the event-specific concessions and merchandise staff to ensure proper setup before the theater lobby opens to the public.
- Prepare cash boxes and credit card machines and stock/prepare concession and merchandise items for sale, including alcoholic beverages.
- Support the Concessions and Merchandise staff in any remaining closing duties, including settlements with artist management.
- Ensure patrons are able to safely and efficiently exit the building in case of emergency.
- Coordinate first aid response for ill/injured patrons according to established protocols and complete Incident Report for all incidents.
- Manage janitorial service contractor: schedule cleanings, track and order cleaning supplies.
- Manage marquee change schedule as set by Marketing Department, and perform marquee letter changes.
Management of Front-of-House Staff and Volunteers
- Schedule volunteer ushers, based on event schedules distributed by the Associate General Manager and Production Manager.
- Coordinate training sessions for volunteer ushers.
- Meet with ushers before the theater opens to the public, to assign their positions and further explain their duties for the evening.
- Schedule and coordinate paid security, concessions, and merchandise staff per event.
- Coordinate emergency management and CPR training for all theater personnel.
- Scheduling state-certified alcohol (TIPS) training for all concessions staff and qualifying volunteers.
- Actively seek out and recruit new volunteer ushers.
- Report on minor theater maintenance needs to Production Manager.
How to Apply: Send resume and a brief paragraph in answer to each of the following questions to HR@mahaiwe.org.
- What about this job particularly appeals to you?
- What makes you uniquely qualified for this job?
- How would your coworkers describe you?