The mission of the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts (aka “The Wallis”) is to strive to be site for the convergence of relevant dynamic performing arts, education and civic life, strengthening our local and global community in our role as a presenter, producer, educator and community resource.
The Director of Production is responsible for planning and executing the physical and technical elements and logistics associated with those elements for our presented and/or produced programming, in collaboration with the artistic and administrative departments, to deliver excellent performances to our audience in a manner that is within both schedule and budget. Reporting to the Executive Director & CEO, this role must demonstrate expertise in both technical and production disciplines and will prepare and be held responsible for the annual production budget.
Beyond the technical and production expertise required for this role, this is most importantly a leadership role and a strong candidate will be skilled and well-versed in leadership, problem-solving, mentorship and very experienced with making time-sensitive decisions alongside creative artists to help the team identify and solve any production-related or design challenges. The Director of Production will possess communication skills to lead the production team of technical specialists, interface with donors and board members, and participate in strategic discussions as a member of the senior leadership team. The person selected for this role will demonstrate a commitment to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility. They will foster a culture of open and clear communication, mentorship and coaching, mutual respect and accountability,
This role requires experience and demonstrated success in recruiting and retaining talent, setting expectations and goals, organizing projects and teams, motivating and evaluating job performance of employees. It is important that the Director of Production remain flexible to shifting priorities and comfortable being an agent of change.
- The Director of Production is responsible for the functions and departments of the production team, including Production Management, Technical Direction, Lighting, Audio/Video, Wardrobe, Stage Management. The Director of Production collaborates with the Artistic Director, creative and design teams (for produced works) and the visiting production teams (for presented works) on the scheduling, implementation and execution of all Wallis programming and artistic goals. Attend all meetings (internal and external) as the work requires;
- Prepares, administers and is held accountable to the annual production budget, which includes production-related expenses as well as non-show, indirect expenses such as office supplies, training, tools and professional development;
- The Director of Production is responsible for labor issues and will participate in labor negotiations, as necessary. Responsible for managing the teams whose working conditions fall under the collective bargaining agreement with IATSE;
- The Director of Production is responsible for the design process and elements of Wallis productions and co-productions, negotiating and executing contracts for designers, build shops, vendors and overseeing the team responsible for formulating and executing design deadlines and rehearsal calendars. The Director of Production needs to directly oversee technical rehearsals and key performances;
- The Director of Production is responsible to oversee the administration and contracts for outside production-related elements, including the related expenses;
- The Director of Production is responsible to ensure the prioritization of safety through setting and enforcing appropriate policies, assigning and documenting safety-related trainings for the production teams and stagehands. Facilitate trainings as necessary and appropriate;
- Provide support to inter-departmental areas requiring Production support including outside events and rentals, education department activities, development events and activities, marketing events and activities and collaborate with these teams on a regular basis. Participate in walk-throughs with prospective clients and partners;
- The Director of Production is responsible for the hiring and management of all production staff. Partnering with HR on the hiring process, coaching and mentoring, performance evaluations and goal setting, and discipline and documentation, as necessary;
This is a full-time position with 100% paid medical benefits, including dental, vision and life insurance ($25,000) for the employee, paid vacation, personal and sick days, 401k and paid parking.
Complimentary tickets are occasionally available for performances and events at The Wallis.
Rate of pay ranges from $110,000 - $140,000. The hours are Monday - Friday, however, availability to work nights and weekends as needed based on theater performances.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Director of Production in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
The Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and encourages applicants of any age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or gender.