Director of Operations and Patron Services
Williams Center for the Arts and the Williams Arts Campus
The Arts at Lafayette
Lafayette Arts span five academic departments and programs (art, creative writing, film and media studies, music, and theater); the Performance Series; an expansive art collection; two professionally-curated galleries that mount some 10 exhibitions each year; the Experimental Printmaking Institute (EPI); and the Maggin Creative and Performing Arts Initiative (CaPA). The Williams Arts Campus houses the Grossman Gallery, a 180-seat state-of-the-art cinema; a 200-seat black box theater; painting, sculpture, drawing, and photography studios; a t.v. shooting studio; advanced editing suites and media labs; and Lafayette’s community-based teaching program. The Williams Center for the Arts on the main campus houses the Performance Series, which hosts approximately 70 events each year; the recently renovated 368-seat main stage auditorium; the Williams Center Gallery; and the Kirby Art Study Center, which houses and displays the College’s art collection. As the professional presenting program of the college, Lafayette’s nationally-recognized Performance Series strives to inspire, nurture, and sustain a lifelong appreciation of the performing arts for the public, youth, families, and college students and to serve the educational and cultural programming objectives of Lafayette College. The Series presents and commissions a broad range of music, dance, and theater artists in both classical and contemporary genres to serve the college and the public through performances and education/community programs. The Performance Series also presents films at Landis Cinema and occasionally in Weiss Theater, both located in Buck Hall on the arts campus.
Position Description for the Director of Operations and Patron Services
The Director of Operations and Patron Services (DOPS) supports the operations of the Williams Center for the Arts at Lafayette College, which includes the professional operation of the Performance Series, presenting international artists in chamber music, jazz, dance, theater, family, and world stage, as well as film series; concerts in the Department of Music; performances by student groups; general use by other campus departments; and supports the front of house operations of the Theater Department at Buck Hall.
The Director of Operations and Patron Services reports to the Director of the Performance Series and works closely with Williams Center and Buck Hall technical staff; the Director of Galleries; faculty and staff in Music and Theater; and manages and trains student staff in the ticket office and front of house.
- Operations Management
- Facilitate use of the main stage by both College constituencies and visiting artists. Review contracts and riders, reserve rehearsal space, arrange and pay for housing, transportation, parking, and hospitality for visiting artists.
- Maintain the calendar for all campus arts venues.
- Maintain strict documentation and financial records for all performances and screenings; communicate as needed with licensing agencies; and pay bills as needed.
- Schedule, prepare, and submit work orders as needed for events as well as maintenance and repair of public spaces in the Williams Center and Buck H
- Contract piano tuning (outside contractor) and custodial support (campus unit).
- Patron Services
- Provide a positive customer experience and ensure a safe and pleasant patron environment.
- Day to day supervision of all patron services within a multi-venue environment, including ticketing and box office operations; house management and ushering; merchandise sales; reporting; and post-event receptions.
- Build season (around 70 performances, four subscription packages), using AudienceView’s University Tickets software.
- Build ticketing order form and create gift certificates, discount codes, subscription renewal campaign, and donation campaigns.
- Manage and update patron database of ~5500 households.
- Track gifts received and report regularly to the Annual Fund office.
- Prepare sales reports and admissions tax returns.
- Hire, train, schedule, and supervise box office, front-of-house staff, and student house managers and ushers.
- Maintain detailed records of sales, donations, credit card wire transfers, and maintain multiple budgets.
- Maintain ticket operations at all performing arts venues.
- Generate performance reports for all ticketed events.
- Monitor building and performance environment regularly to ensure patron, performer, and staff safety.
- Work with Public Safety and Facilities Operations.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- At least five years’ experience in arts administration, preferably in the context of a college arts center.
- Management experience, especially working with students
- Fluency with ticketing software, preferably AudienceView/University Tickets.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
This position requires the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Please provide a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin May 30th. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Letters of Reference will be required of finalists. http://apply.interfolio.com/124635
Lafayette College is a highly selective private liberal-arts college located in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. The college is approximately 70 miles north of Philadelphia and 70 miles west of New York City. Lafayette College is deeply committed to creating a diverse community: one that is inclusive and responsive, and is supportive of each and all of its faculty, students, and staff. All members of the College community share in the responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning environment in which difference is valued, equity is sought, and inclusiveness is practiced. All Lafayette operations reflect the College’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion (DEAI) initiatives, and Lafayette welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.