Job Title: Assistant Orchestra Personnel Manager
Reports to: Orchestra Personnel Manager
Status: Full-time, exempt
Please include a cover letter and resume when applying.
Assist the Orchestra Personnel Manager with the administration of the personnel of the Orchestra;
application of the master agreement; preparation and maintenance of orchestra payroll and other records;
scheduling of musicians; hiring of substitute and extra musicians and coordination of auditions. The
Orchestra Personnel and Assistant Personnel Manager serve as a liaison between musicians and
Essential Job Functions:
• Maintain a friendly and positive environment for the musicians of the orchestra, fostering and
encouraging open communication between the orchestra and management.
• Ensure the smooth running of all orchestra services in accordance with the Collective
• Create, manage, and post musician rosters, monthly wind/brass casting sheets, weekly string
reductions, and bi-weekly attendance lists. Communicate with wind, brass, and percussion
principals and string section point keepers in a timely manner to obtain casting and strings
• Provide administrative and operational support to Orchestra Personnel Manager.
• Split coverage of orchestra services with the Orchestra Personnel Manager, ensuring that
rehearsals, performances and media services begin and end on time, and proper intermission
requirements are met. Announce and document overtime, as necessary. Record attendance at
each service and communicate personnel-related information to conductors, as appropriate as
well as intermission requirements. Provide backstage support to the personnel manager during
daytime rehearsals at Jones Hall.
• Assist with the implementation of OPAS, including liaising with OPAS software personnel as
• Coordinate Houston Symphony auditions; oversee posting of audition notices on the Houston
Symphony website and advertisements in the International Musician and other media; answer
related correspondence; create audition mailings; work with audition committees to formulate
audition lists and review applicant resumes and recordings; coordinate music preparation with
library; maintain candidate database and scheduling of audition times; work with other
operations personnel to reserve facilities and schedule crew to staff auditions; coordinate sign
up of musician stage assistants/proctors and record work hours for payment; assist in the
execution of audition. Maintain accurate files of Houston Symphony auditions.
• Manage the tracking and reporting of electronic media payments made to the orchestra.
• Hire substitute and extra musicians as requested by the Orchestra Personnel Manager.
• Maintain substitute and extra musician lists. Arrange weekly security clearance for substitute
and extra musicians.
• Maintain orchestra backstage bulletin board and musician’s informational website.
• Manage email communications to the Orchestra from other Houston Symphony departments.
• Work with patron services personnel to manage musician sign-up for complimentary concert
• Maintain string rotation schedule.
• Assist in updating the musicians’ hotline weekly with current orchestra service information.
• Organize and maintain musician databases.
• Assist the Orchestra Personnel Manager to determine and assign/hire musicians for nonorchestra events, including, but not limited to, Audience Development Services, donor or
subscriber cultivation, board meetings, education, and pre- or post-concert activities.
• Participate in production meetings.
• Perform all functions of the Orchestra Personnel Manager in his/her absence.
• Perform additional duties as required by the Houston Symphony Society.