Job Title: 5th Grade Humanities Teacher
Supervisor: Head of Middle School
Type: Full-time position - 10 months
Department: Middle School
FLSA: Exempt (Salaried)
Start Date: Mid-August 2023
St. Anne’s Episcopal School in Middletown, Delaware seeks an enthusiastic and committed language arts and social studies instructor who enjoys working with older elementary and/or younger middle school students. St. Anne’s looks for teachers who possess the skills and motivation to:
- create a learning environment where each student is known, loved, challenged and inspired
- lead effective, innovative, engaging and developmentally appropriate student-centered classes
- differentiate instruction and create an inclusive classroom
- practice effective classroom management that aligns with our core values
Qualities – What do we value?
We at St. Anne’s value educators who believe in our mission and embrace that we are a community who cares about social justice. We seek educators who possess patience, self-awareness and a collaborative spirit. We look for flexible teachers who possess strong organizational and effective time-management skills. We work to draw-in teachers who wish to immerse themselves in a small, caring school community with a big family atmosphere. We also seek teachers who possess strong interpersonal and communication skills. We look for teachers who have the interest and wherewithal to utilize our beautiful campus for outdoor learning. Finally, we value teachers who possess a growth mindset and are committed to continuing to learn and grow professionally.
- Teach fifth grade language arts and social studies with a focus on reading comprehension, writing and critical-thinking skills
- Create interdisciplinary lessons and connections between language arts and social studies as well as with other subject areas
- Serve as a core homeroom teacher for up to 20 fifth graders and lead a homeroom curriculum focused on SEL, character and community building
- Differentiate instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with varying abilities and cultural backgrounds as well as provide frequent supports and extensions as needed
- Mentor and serve as a role model for students beyond their academic development
- Consciously build a classroom culture and maintain standards of student behavior that center around our core values of respect, responsibility and compassion
- Through clear and consistent communication, build partnerships with parents that center around mutual trust in order to best support students’ growth and well-being.
- Establish collaborative, collegial and supportive working relationships with other faculty and staff
- Serve as a coach of a sports team or a leader of a co-curricular middle school program such as: Theater, Chess Team, Junior Model U.N., Geography Bee, Literary Magazine, Debate Team, etc.
- Complete thorough and thoughtful report cards three times a year
- Attend specific school events/activities outside of the school day and supervise as needed
- Lead student/parent conferences at least twice annually
- Attend weekly Episcopal chapel service and other assemblies
- Participate in curriculum development and serve on faculty committees
- Plan and chaperone grade level field trips
- Participate in regular team meetings during the day and weekly faculty meetings after school
- Perform additional duties as assigned, such as carline, recess and lunch duty
Qualifications – Candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required, Master’s Degree preferred
- At least 3-5 years of teaching/classroom experience with older elementary school students
- Knowledge of the best practices in both curriculum development and instruction for fifth grade language arts and social studies
- Must be able to regularly sit, turn, bend, reach, stand, walk, talk, hear, and interact with students, peer-teachers, staff, parents, campus visitors and others.
- Must be able to lift 25lbs.
- Must have the ability to understand and present materials and communicate with constituents and co-workers in a harmonious manner.
Qualified candidates should send the following to Employment@saintannesschool.org with 5th Grade Humanities Teacher in the subject line:
- a letter of interest
- current resume
- educational philosophy statement
- employment application
- list of professional references
Please use the following format for naming your electronic files: Lastname_Firstname_Resume. References will not be contacted without applicant approval. Please know that we seek candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, and gender identity of the school community.