The Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts at Oregon State University is seeking an Education and Volunteer Programs Manager. This is a full-time (1.00 FTE), 12-month, professional faculty position.
The Education and Volunteer Programs Manager will be responsible for coordinating, implementing, and facilitating k-12 field trips, youth programs, teacher programs and audience engagement initiatives and events. This position will also play a key role in establishing and managing a volunteer program, which will include developing and leading training sessions. The Education and Volunteer Programs Manager will support a robust programming season by acting as manager on duty and providing front of house support when needed.
The Education and Volunteer Programs Manager will work closely with the Associate Director of Audience Engagement to set the scope and tone for educational and volunteer programs across the Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts. This position will require a dependable, self-motivated individual who has direct experience facilitating programs, planning, and implementing training, and working with volunteers.
Scheduled to open in Spring 2024, the Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts is a new $70M building currently under construction. The facility features a 490-seat recital hall, a black box theater, a 3,000 square foot gallery, and additional art presentation spaces, classrooms, and programming locations. In addition, the Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts will act as a convener for a variety of arts activities throughout the OSU network, which includes units on the Corvallis campus, the Cascades campus and beyond.
The Education and Volunteer Programs Manager will report to the Associate Director of Audience Engagement and Education. The individual will engage closely with teams across the Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts and will work with Oregon State University faculty, student interns, student employees, graduate fellows, and volunteers.
As a start-up organization, the Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts seeks an enterprising and energetic individual who is comfortable working in the context of a developing organization in which organizational and operational decisions are still being made.
40% Education and audience engagement program coordination, implementation, and facilitation.
The Education and Volunteer Programs Manager collaborates with Patricia Valian Reser Center for the Creative Arts (PVRCCA) staff, precollege programs partners, OSU faculty, artists, and community members to develop and facilitate in-person, and/or virtual educational experiences.
Supports K-12 School and Teacher Programs as follows:
- Works closely with the Associate Director of Audience Engagement and Education to develop logistics and curriculum for the school field trip program at the PVRCCA.
- Coordinates and implements field trip programs, after school programs, camps and other educational programs as needed for K-12 learners.
- Coordinates and implements professional development workshops for classroom teachers and informal educators.
- Handles field trip program logistics, calendar, registration, and teacher communication. Includes assisting with youth program safety training and compliance in alignment with OSU’s Office of Youth Safety and Compliance requirements and protocols including monitoring OSU’s Safety of Minors Policy and integrating updates when needed.
- Supports the general needs of education and audience engagement at the PVRCCA as follows
- Supports and/or facilitates audience engagement events, workshops, and initiatives at the PVRCCA and affiliated locations (may require travel).
- Responsible for inventory and maintenance of supplies and materials used for programs.
- Reserves, secures, and coordinates program spaces.
- Represents the PVRCCA to and communicates effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and program participants, including teachers, k-12 students, event attendees, OSU students, interns, volunteers, partners, artists, donors, special guests, and the general public.
- Directs and supervises student staff and volunteers.
40% Volunteer Oversight and Training
The Education and Volunteer Programs Manager will oversee the experience and general training of volunteers and interns at the PVRCCA. This position will work with the Associate Director of Audience Engagement and Education to develop a new volunteer program and to create recruitment, retention, and recognition strategies. This position will play a key role in implementing onboarding training for volunteers, interns and student employees and will work to prepare for future expansion and growth of the PVRCCA volunteer program. They will provide general support to volunteers and interns, including responding to inquiries, creating reports and handling oversight of schedules and the volunteer database.
The Education and Volunteer Programs manager will oversee the onsite presence of volunteers and representatives of community art partners and OSU colleges. This includes acting as manager on duty, ensuring that partner volunteers and representatives are trained appropriately, and being responsible for locking and unlocking facilities.
15% Front of House Operations
This position will work closely with the Front of House and Guest Experience Manager to oversee front of house and gallery volunteers during events and public hours. They will be cross trained in front of house and box office operations and will be ready to support the front of house/box office and direct and supervise volunteers and student staff.
5% Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Performs other duties relevant to the general areas of the position as assigned.