Founded in 1997, the Peninsula Youth Orchestra (PYO) is in its 26th successful season and service to the community. PYO is led by its co-founders Sara Salsbury and Mitchell Sardou Klein, and guided by a mission to reflect and enhance the cultural diversity of its community by bringing together student musicians to rehearse and perform symphonic music in an educational setting. Striving for high musical standards, PYO enriches the lives of youth ages 6 to 18, as they progress through a challenging course of repertoire that prepares them with the skills and passion to enjoy and pursue music as professional or amateur players.
Serving the youth of San Mateo County and surrounding communities, Peninsula Youth Orchestra is home to 450 student musicians that compose a senior orchestra, three preparatory full orchestras, two string orchestras, and a flute ensemble. The PYO primarily serves aspiring musicians in Redwood City, Redwood Shores, Belmont, and San Carlos, where the PYO office is located. The orchestras regularly perform works commissioned by and composed for PYO by the composer-in-residence and other contemporary composers. The Peninsula Music Camp invites students at every stage of their musical journey and offers four diverse, one-week sessions each summer.
Under the musical tutelage of Salsbury and Klein and a team of coaches, the Peninsula Youth Orchestra was awarded the esteemed ASCAP Award for "Adventurous Programming of American Music on Foreign Tours" for their highly successful Japan Tour in 1999. In the following years, PYO has toured and performed in Australia, the Baltics, Italy, Spain, France, the Netherlands, England, Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, and Budapest. The Peninsula Young Artists orchestra commenced touring in 2004 in New York at Carnegie Hall. On the tours to follow, they performed in China, Ireland, Prague, Vienna, Paris, and at Disney Hall in Los Angeles.
The Peninsula Youth Orchestra has an eight-member board of directors made up of parents and other community members. For the year ending June 30, 2022, PYO reported total revenue of $519,900 with $170,000 from contributions and grants and $315,200 from program fees. Total expenses were $519,000.
The San Francisco Bay Area is a diverse and vibrant network of communities made up of nine counties, including San Mateo County and Santa Clara County on the “Peninsula”. This region is the ancestral homeland of the Ramaytush Ohlone peoples, and today, is the geographic hub of the world’s Silicon Valley. There is a thriving musical culture in Northern California where there are many ensembles, performances, and educational programs that serve a wide range of musical interests. The Bay Area is home to four historic orchestras, the San Francisco Symphony, the Oakland Symphony, the Berkeley Symphony, and the Silicon Valley Symphony.
San Mateo County has a diverse population of over 760,000. While three quarters of the county is open or agricultural land, bioscience, computer software, green technology, financial management, venture capital, hospitality, health care, education, and transportation are all industries thriving in this area. The county is home to many well-known Silicon Valley firms, such as Facebook, YouTube, and Oracle, while the neighboring Santa Clara County is home to Stanford University.
The Peninsula enjoys a Mediterranean-like climate, amazing vistas, and public parks. It is known for its natural beauty and home to several state and regional parks.
Sources: cityofsancarlos.org; thesanfranciscopeninsula.com; peninsulaartscouncil.org; smcgov.org; census.gov
The Operations Manager for Peninsula Youth Orchestra will oversee preparations and participate in the execution of all operations. This individual will be responsible for the full range of administrative functions, rehearsal, and concert support for all six PYO orchestras and ensembles, and most marketing and communications activity. The Operations Manager will manage day-to-day operations related to auditions, rehearsals, concerts, and summer camp programs. This position will serve as a liaison to the music community and information center for PYO members and their families. The Operations Manager, reporting to the President/General Manager, will work closely with all members of the PYO team and directly supervises the Rehearsal Assistant.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain the year-round schedule of rehearsals, concerts, and auditions, in conjunction with the Music Director and the Director of Prep Orchestras, and update as necessary and communicate to members.
- Plan and manage the operations, communications, and administration of summer camp programs and international summer tours, in coordination with the Music Director and/or Prep Conductor.
- Partner with Chief Financial Officer to develop annual operating budgets and periodically track expenses vs. budget and contribute to the planning process of operational expenditures.
- Secure facility rentals for PYO activities, including venue compliance, agreements and venue support for students, families, audiences, conductors, and visiting artists; serve as liaison to theater managers.
- Oversee and assist with the launch of each new season.
Rehearsal, Concert, Audition, and Office Management
- Supervise and assist with concert production: coordinate stage set-ups, strikes, stage management, and audio/video needs.
- Attend all performances to support the conductors.
- Lead all office operations, oversee computer hardware/software and databases, operate professional-grade office copier (including booklet finisher), and oversee general office housekeeping.
- Collaborate with the Music Director and Prep Orchestra Director to create, plan, and schedule auditions, as well as manage audition logistics inclusive of in-person auditions and video submissions.
- Oversee music library maintenance (physical volumes and digital database), involving cataloguing, filing, scanning, digital archiving, and acquiring new music as needed.
- Manage preparation of music parts for distribution to musicians at rehearsals.
- Attend rehearsals frequently to ensure smooth operations, while serving as back-up for Rehearsal Assistant.
- Provide administrative and logical support to the Camp Director during spring enrollment and onsite for the two-week period of summer camp sessions.
- Maintain a database of members’ key information and update in real time, as needed, due to changes in member status, address, or other data required by PYO.
- Serve as first point of contact for answering questions and inquiries from musicians and parents.
- Manage communications and publications, including weekly eNews and website postings, brochures, and concert program booklets, collaborating with PYO staff members on content.
- Provide outreach to local music teachers through periodic communications and maintain a music teacher database.
Team Leadership, PYO Culture, and Professional Development
- Guide administrative team members, monitoring productivity, providing constructive feedback, and reinforcing accountability to adhere to legal and organizational policies.
- Assist PYO to grow organizationally by building a culture that is open to new perspectives and encourages creative solutions.
- Actively participate in the field through professional networking and associations, including the Association of California Symphony Orchestras and the League of American Orchestras.
Traits and Characteristics
The Operations Manager takes responsibility for the outcomes of their decisions and actions, cooperating with others to meet objectives and achieve shared goals, regardless of obstacles or challenges. The Operations Manager must have the ability to show concern for the needs, feelings, and perspectives of clients and fellow team members in a respectful and professional manner. The Operations Manager should display a high degree of resiliency regarding operational challenges and priority conflicts.
Other key competencies include:
- People-Oriented and Customer-Oriented – The capacity to build rapport with a wide range of individuals and identifying and fulfilling their expectations.
- Persistence and Consistency – The ability to finish tasks in a timely fashion despite challenges, with a high degree of trust regarding positive outcomes.
- Analysis – The facility to compile, confirm, and organize real-world situations to inform thoughtful decision-making.
- Following Policy and Organized Workplace – The capability to adhere to rules, regulations, or existing methods in order to establish and maintain order in daily activities.
The ideal candidate will have first-hand knowledge of classical instrumental music, understanding of the operational needs of an orchestra, and a passion for working with young people. They will have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field; excellent communication skills both written and verbal; and will be able to work as a team player and manage direct reports effectively. They will be proficient in using various computer applications, such as MS Word, Excel, Google Classroom, and Claris Filemaker, or be willing to learn them quickly. They will also be able to lift up to 15 pounds at and above shoulder level and move and stack chairs and music stands when needed for rehearsal set up. They will be flexible and available to work occasional evenings and weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) to support and manage rehearsals and concerts.
Compensation and Benefits
The Peninsula Youth Orchestra offers an annual salary range between $70,000 and $80,000 with a flexible, hybrid work schedule. PYO is committed to supporting and mentoring the inaugural Operations Manager, providing a growth path with the potential of this role advancing to the role of Executive Director over time.
Applications and Inquiries
To submit a cover letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments (electronic submissions preferred), please click here or visit artsconsulting.com/employment. For questions or general inquiries about this job opportunity, please contact:
Delilah Norris, Vice President
201 West Lake Street, Suite 133
Chicago, IL 60606-1803
Tel (888) 234.4236 Ext. 230
Peninsula Youth Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse workforce.