TWUSA is seeking candidates for a full-time employee with responsibility for all functions related to the creation and execution of development and communication strategies to build a broad base of support and meet contributed revenue goals. TheaterWorksUSA is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization that currently relies on fundraising to generate approximately 25% of its revenue.
Duties and Responsibilities
This senior-level position reports to the Executive Director and will be responsible for hiring and building the fundraising team of employees and consultants. The Director of Development will lead TWUSA’s development and communications efforts and will play a critical role within the organization’s leadership team as it enters its next phase of growth and further positions itself for long-term success. This role works with the Board of Directors, multiple Advisory Committees, the Executive Director, the Artistic Director, external vendors, other colleagues and volunteers to fulfill strategic and operating objectives.
The successful candidate will:
- Create a positive, optimistic, practical environment to encourage a culture of philanthropy that engages volunteers, stakeholders, and staff in fundraising process.
- Create and execute a plan to build, manage, and supervise a team sufficiently to meet annual fundraising goals that exceed $1 million in contributed revenue.
- Maintain and execute an ambitious calendar of fundraising and relationship development activity, including grant writing and special events.
- Demonstrate accountability for achieving results, ensuring effective systems and procedures are in place for development and communications operations.
- Ensure appropriate communication with prospects and donors for multiple campaigns, giving programs and other interactions; consistently and compellingly communicate our mission and vision for the future with a clear, convincing case for support; lead the production of high-quality proposals for individuals, corporations, foundations, and government funding programs in addition to informational and stewardship materials.
- Personally solicit and manage progress of individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies through identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and renewal - ensuring TWUSA continually grows committed donors and friends.
- Proactively identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts, engaging Board, staff leadership, and volunteers in efforts.
- Oversee moves management across the organization.
- Create and maintain office systems to support projects and operations; manage grant calendar, record-keeping, grant reporting, gift acknowledgements, and donor benefit delivery. Oversee and optimize development usage of PatronManager CRM (a SalesForce product).
- Create and manage department budgets, contributed revenue forecasts, and performance goals.
- Collaborate on the creation and execution of marketing and communications strategy with a goal of expanding participation as well as elevating TWUSA’s brand/identity awareness. The integrated marketing and communications strategy will include advertising, public relations, digital and social media efforts as well as forming new strategic partnerships.
- Build effective relationships and serve as an active TWUSA representative in the greater cultural, philanthropic, and professional communities. Act as TWUSA's primary liaison with local, city, and state elected representatives and their staffs to steward relationships and resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Location
Salary range is $75,000-$100,000, commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes 99% employer-paid health insurance, voluntary dental insurance, FSA transit/health/dependent accounts, access to a voluntary 401(k) after the first year, and a total of 30 days of paid time off annually. TheaterWorksUSA’s administrative offices are based in New York City. This position allows for a hybrid working arrangement. Projected start date is June 2023.
- Please submit a resume and a statement that speaks to what excites you about taking on this role, as well as your approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion. EDI is an important part of TWUSA’s mission, and we ask you to share the ways that you imagine bringing a commitment to EDI to your work. No “cover letters” necessary. While we ask that resumes be submitted in written form, we invite applicants to submit their statement via a written statement, audio or video recording – whatever form best supports your self-expression.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
TheaterWorksUSA serves a diverse, nationwide audience and we strive to build a staff, board, and programming that reflects the diversity of that audience. We strongly encourage candidates from communities that have been historically underrepresented in theater for young audiences to apply.
TheaterWorksUSA is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employee. TheaterWorksUSA will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender (including gender-identity), disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, marital status, partnership status, citizenship status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, victims of domestic violence, sex offenses or stalking, and previous conviction of criminal offenses, unless directly related to employment or would involve an unreasonable risk to property or to the safety or welfare of specific individuals or the general public; any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. TheaterWorksUSA makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time. TheaterWorksUSA complies with applicable disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process or perform essential job functions, please contact us.