Dance Place is hiring! We are seeking a dynamic, motivated, and talented individual to join our team as the Director of Production for our nationally-recognized cultural arts center in Washington, DC. This full-time, exempt position will bring support to our passion for building a sustainable community locally, nationally, and internationally with a common goal of strengthening the field of dance by investing deeply in artists and students who have been systemically excluded from such opportunities. This is a hybrid work opportunity with an anticipated salary range of $53,000 – $55,000 annually.
If joining an exciting dance center where you will be responsible for maintaining technical theater assets to produce high-quality performances that empower movement artists to be unapologetically creative, the Director of Production position may be the perfect role for you.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Director of Production leads Dance Place’s Cafritz Foundation Theater’s technical staff and supports all artists in the Dance Place season to realize their artistic visions. The Director of Production will manage year-round, technical theater direction to enrich the field of dance. This position is responsible for the general maintenance and operations of the Theatre, scene shop, and backstage.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
At a minimum, the Director of Production will be responsible for performing the following duties and functions:
- Lead Cafritz Foundation Theater production staff including Audio and Video Supervisor, Lighting Supervisor, work/study, technical theater interns, and overhire technicians as needed during all scheduled crew calls.
- Work closely with the Artistic Director and the production team on pre-performance planning.
- Serve as co-lead for Dance Place production meetings.
- Schedule the Dance Place crew (including staff, interns, work/study, and overhire when necessary) to enable the successful execution of all performances, rentals, and space and equipment maintenance.
- Coordinate all incoming and outgoing equipment rentals and purchases.
- Make non-capital purchasing decisions within budget to ensure equipment is functional and up to date.
- Generate, track, and maintain production budgets in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Manage all technical needs for Dance Place performances and events, including tracking and ordering supplies to ensure sufficient stock of consumables.
- Coordinate Cafritz Foundation Theater rentals with the Rentals Associate.
- Serve as the venue point person for artists in the Dance Place season.
- Communicate with designers about their needs for Dance Place performances and lead the process to execute their designs.
- Create and maintain equipment wishlist and theater specifications documentation for internal and external use.
- Maintain theater to-do/maintenance list.
- Lead, assist with, and participate in maintenance calls, load-ins, hang and focus calls, technical and dress rehearsals as necessary to support the realization of Dance Place presentations.
- Maintain order of the Cafritz Foundation Theater, backstage, scene shop, and storage areas.
- Hire, schedule, and supervise overhire technicians, including determining when overhire is necessary.
About the Successful Candidate (Key Requirements, Skills & Qualifications):
To be optimally successful in this role, you must have the following:
- Minimum of four years of technical theater experience is required
- Minimum of two years of experience managing production staff members
- Capability to manage and, in the absence of staff availability, execute technical production tasks (i.e., lighting, audio/visual, etc.)
- Very strong background in lighting or audio/visual design
- Ability to work effectively in a hybrid work environment with the expectation of being onsite per the needs of the department
- Keen attention to detail with a focus on producing high-quality work products
- Strong collaboration skills to work seamlessly across all departmental groups
- Exceptional project management skills to ensure productions remain within scheduling timelines and budgetary limits
- Ability to regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently
Other highly desired skills and qualities include:
- Prior scenic experience will receive preferential consideration
- Hands-on experience with Vectorworks or other CAD software is a plus
- An appreciation for the art of dance
The Director of Production is eligible to participate in Dance Place’s benefits plan, which includes:
- Health care coverage
- Self-managed mental health and medical leave program
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- 401(k) savings plan with employer match
- Pre-tax travel benefits
- Free dance classes
- Free admission to Dance Place performances
Conditions of Employment:
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: Due to the in-person nature of Dance Place’s work environment, those who wish to apply for this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is defined as two weeks after receiving the last eligible dosage, inclusive of booster shot(s). Candidates who are made a contingent offer of employment should be prepared to show proof of vaccination upon request. If a successful candidate seeks an exemption to this policy due to a medical contraindication, disability, or a sincerely-held religious belief, the candidate must contact HR no later than two calendar days after receiving a contingent offer of employment.
Pre-employment Background Checks: A final offer of employment to a successful candidate will be contingent upon satisfactorily completing a thorough background check that yields favorable results.
Heralded as the “hub of dance activity in Washington, DC”, Dance Place is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly encourages qualified applicants from underrepresented communities to apply. We believe that people of color, people in the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and women must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply to our openings. For more information on our great organization, please visit our site at https://www.danceplace.org.