Tru is seeking creative educators ready to engage in transformative experiences with children, grades K-5. Our unique program follows the philosophy of the founding teachers, who seek not merely to teach children but to awaken within them a sense of empathy and connection. Inspired by Parker Palmer, Nel Noddings, John Dewey, and many other voices in educational literature, the school believes that the inner experience of the child is crucial to meaningful growth.
About the Position
We are searching for a full-time lead teacher who embodies the following attributes:
- A willingness to engage in a transformative process himself or herself: to question personal beliefs and prejudices, and to critically examine his/her relationships with students;
- Warmth and kindness, firm expectations, knowledge of child development, and the conscious use of language in a school setting;
- Equipped with a growth mindset characterized by ongoing personal and professional development, while leading children to discover new capacities in themselves.
Teaching @ Tru
The school is organized into mixed-age classes with one teacher each. The teachers collaborate to determine integrative content strands and essential questions, then implement those strands through developmentally appropriate activities with their individual classes. They communicate regularly with parents to inform them about student work and assess student progress against standard benchmarks of achievement.
Teachers participate fully in school community events and outreach programs. They also create a yearly professional development plan to support continued growth in educational theory and practice. Our program requires educators to reflect on their practice, collaborate constantly, and bring a strong personal presence to their work. Our integrative approach necessitates the development of original activities that reach across the traditional disciplines of science, literature, social studies, etc. A desire to explore, research, and teach unfamiliar topics is essential.
- Health and retirement plan matching benefits
- Tuition credit for staff children
- Opportunities to apply school mission in creative ways
- Highly supportive staff and parent community
- Inclusive decision making process
- Developmentally appropriate teaching environment
Based in Palo Alto, California, Tru is seeking a full-time educator (40 hours per week) ready to engage in transformative experiences with children in grades K-5. Following progressive and constructivist principles of education, we provide many key characteristics of a research-based school:
- warm and engaging school climate
- integrated and thematic curriculum
- inquiry-based science
- conceptual mathematics
- direct investigations of the surrounding community
- school-wide theatrical performances with music and dance
- portfolio assessment
- mindfulness practice
Send a resume and cover letter describing your interest to email@example.com.