The Department of Ensemble Operations is seeking an Ensemble Coordinator who will report to the Ensemble Program Manager and will work closely with the Artistic Director of Ensembles, Vocal and Elective Ensemble Coordinator, Jazz Coordinator and Ensemble Librarian. This position is responsible for providing administrative support to all orchestral large ensembles. The orchestral large ensembles include the Symphony Orchestra, Concert Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Now Hear This ensemble, and all Composition Reading groups. The Peabody Conductors’ Orchestra and Conductors’ Orchestra Quintet is also managed by the Ensemble Office.
The Ensemble Office consists of the Ensemble Program Manager, Ensemble Coordinator/Orchestral Large Ensembles, Ensemble Coordinator/Vocal and Elective Ensembles, Jazz Coordinator and Ensemble Librarian. The Ensemble Office manages the personnel, rehearsals, and performance activities of all large and select elective ensembles at the Peabody Conservatory, administers the graduate orchestral conducting program, and provides instrument loans and rentals to ensemble participants and music education students. The Ensemble Office staff coordinate the placement audition process by which students are assigned to their required ensembles throughout the school year. The Ensemble Office also provides support to the Peabody Preparatory ensemble program, as needed.
The Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University advances a dynamic, 21st-century model of performing arts training in pursuit of its mission: to elevate the human experience through leadership at the intersection of art and education. Through its Conservatory for undergraduate and graduate studies and the Preparatory, Baltimore’s largest community performing arts school, Peabody empowers musicians and dancers from diverse backgrounds to create and perform at the highest level.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Orchestral Large Ensemble Support and Logistics
- The Ensemble Coordinator/Orchestral Large Ensembles is the first stop for students, faculty, and staff with any questions or issues related to orchestral large ensembles, serving as an Event Manager for assigned ensemble performances to ensure proper event advancement.
Placement Audition Process
- Compile the complete list of all incoming and returning students with orchestral large ensemble requirements following Conservatory May entrance auditions in conjunction with the Registrar, Director of Advising, and Student Affairs and Academic Affairs Office.
- Assist the Ensemble Program Manager in coordinating and scheduling Conservatory orchestral ensemble placements.
- Manage online audition forms through Slate and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.
- Create a master schedule of all in-person individual student audition times, and provide technical and administrative support to students and production team during in-person auditions.
Student Assignments & Attendance
- Responsible for oversight and tracking of individual orchestral student rotations throughout their involvement in the large ensemble program ensuring each student participates in a variety of rotations.
- Prepare, maintain, and post current personnel seating rosters for all orchestral large ensembles in consultation with orchestral applied faculty, the Artistic Director of Ensembles, and the Ensemble Program Manager.
- Coordinate attendance records for all orchestral large ensemble services.
- Assess large Ensemble Excuse Request Forms received from students in conjunction with the Ensemble Program Manager and make appropriate decisions to approve or reject requests.
- Assist the Ensemble Program Manager in recruiting additional student performers as required for certain performances, and if necessary, recruit outside performers.
- Update Starfish, an informational student success platform, with alerts related to orchestral ensemble students.
ArtsVision & Student Servicing
- Orchestral large ensemble information is stored on ArtsVision, the web-based software used by the Peabody Institute.
- The Ensemble Coordinators maintain content and act as liaison between the Peabody IT Department and ArtsVision staff to address any issues or needs, and roll out phases of implementation of ArtsVision software to students and faculty.
- The Ensemble Coordinators will input all information into ArtsVision throughout the school year with the majority of the work being done outside of the academic calendar.
- Maintain accurate postings of rehearsal and performance schedules for orchestral large ensembles and disseminate digital copies through ArtsVision and email.
- Collect and import roster, scheduling, rehearsal order, and rehearsal needs data into ArtsVision, and generate reports for students, faculty, and conductors.
Peabody Nest & Website
- The Peabody Nest is the student facing internal website which acts as an information hub for all student related questions from the Ensemble Office. The Ensemble Coordinator/Orchestral Large Ensembles is responsible for the Ensemble Office page of this website,and ensures that all content is current. Information on the Nest includes staff information, excuse forms for class release/attendance, instrument rental forms, Syllabi, placement audition information, ArtsVision information, and frequently asked questions.
- The Peabody website is a large, community facing website which houses all departments at the Institute. The Ensemble Coordinator/Orchestral Large Ensembles oversees information pertinent to the Large Orchestral Ensembles including ensemble descriptions.
Student Employment & Contractual Services
- Coordinate the employment and payment (JHUTimesheetX) for all student workers involved in the Conductors’ Orchestra and quintets and piano accompanists involved in orchestral large ensembles and assist the rest of the Ensemble Office staff with hiring and training Ensemble Management Interns (ca. 150 student workers total).
- Coordinate and process contracts for orchestral large ensemble ringers, coaches, and other guest artists.
- Maintain up to date reports of purchases related to the orchestral ensemble program and assist the Ensemble Program Manager in compiling annual budget data.