Reporting to the Co-Chairs of Design and Dean of David Geffen School of Drama (DGSD), oversees activities of, teaches classes in, and serves as mentor to students in the Sound Design (SD) concentration.
Teaching and Mentoring
- In collaboration with co-chairs of the Design department, establish curriculum and class schedule; balance pedagogical needs with budgetary constraints, faculty and space availability, while promoting a commitment to anti-racism and safety. Ensure ongoing faculty and student evaluation of curriculum.
- Oversee quality of teaching; participates in review of faculty. Ensure ongoing student review and evaluation.
- Teach up to four semester-long courses per year in area(s) of expertise.
- Establish and communicate expectations and requirements of the concentration to sound design students. Support, guide, encourage and evaluate their progress.
- Define standards and process for student thesis. Serve as thesis advisor.
- Foster YSD connections to field resources and promote career placement for sound design students and alumni.
- Other duties as requested by co-Chairs or Dean.
Departmental Administration and Recruiting
- In collaboration with co-Chairs, hire faculty, including but not limited to, conducting searches, interviews; setting up and observing demonstration classes, calling references. In concert with co-Chairs, Dean and Associate Dean/Managing Director establish salaries for part-time faculty; negotiate salaries.
- Select, contract, and supervise part-time Lecturers, visiting faculty, and workshop leaders.
- Determine and implement student recruitment strategy and process. In concert with Design faculty, select incoming class, including conducting interviews, prioritizing top choices and alternates, follow-up with admitted students concerning site visits and matriculation.
- Propose, oversee, and monitor Sound Design budget. Oversee departmental work-study assignments.
- Handle requests for information about the program from prospective faculty, students, and the field, as well as recommendations for students and graduates as appropriate.
- Represent Program and serve as primary department liaison and expert resource to DGSD, Yale, and the field.
- Other related duties as requested by co-Chairs or Dean.
- Advise and mentor sound design students on all aspects of production work.
- In consultation with Artistic Director, coordinate YRT Sound Design assignments.
- Serve as primary sound design advisor and mentor for DGSD productions.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, C.V. and the names of three references. Materials must be submitted through Interfolio, which is free to applicants. Review of applications will begin 03/22/2023.
Yale University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. David Geffen School of Drama encourages applications from individuals who identify as members of communities under-represented in the professional theater and/or academia.