Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of approximately 1000 students located in the Park Slope section of New York City. Our vibrant learning environment draws students from all over the city. Admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents/guardians and students value achievement and community.
Berkeley Carroll seeks a full-time Lower School Music Teacher to start in September 2023. This teacher will be responsible for the musical and creative education of our youngest learners in Pre-Kindergarten (3 year olds) through grade one. The instructional approach facilitates the development of young children’s creativity, while incorporating foundational musical elements such as beat, rhythm, and melody. In the Early Childhood Music program, students learn with half of their homeroom peers. In these small groups, students are best able to experiment with early music concepts and begin to develop skills.
- Teach vocal skills with focus on pitch matching and projection
- Teach children to play both pitched and unpitched percussion instruments
- Prepare students for open classes and/ or performances for parents
- Collaborate with departmental colleagues to develop units of study and lessons
- Prepare daily lessons and materials to meet the needs of a range of young artists
- Collaborate with other teachers to develop integrated units and projects
- Incorporate school-wide SEL approaches and DEI concepts
- Collaborate with homeroom teachers and members of the Student Support Team in meeting the needs of all learners
- Communicate with families via email, phone and meetings regarding student progress
- Perform additional non-classroom duties as needed in the Lower School community
Berkeley Carroll is committed to creating an environment that includes a diversity of perspectives and to cultivating an equitable, inclusive learning community in which everyone has the opportunity to experience a sense of belonging. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and will be offered commensurate with experience and credentials. The salary range for this position is $65k-$90k.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume with a list of references, and completed
Berkeley Carroll Employment Application to:
Briar Sauro, Assistant Director of Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org Becky Blumenthal, Lower School Dean of Faculty: email@example.com Erita Doko, Administrative Assistant to the Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org