Job Title: Technical Theatre Director
Reports to: Director of Fine Arts
Start Date: August 2023
The Emery/Weiner School seeks a full-time Technical Theatre Director for the 2023-24 school year. The Technical Director will work as a part of a robust arts team and will provide leadership for the technical direction of all of the school’s curricular and extra-curricular productions. This position will also support the wider school community by supervising the technical operations and resources of the performance venues, including lighting, sound, and projection support for events. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical theatre background with a degree in theatre or commensurate professional experience in the industry. The candidate should believe in developing students as theatre technicians and should have strong theatre management, teaching, and leadership skills. The ideal candidate is an innovative and experienced problem solver, a skillful leader with a “can-do” attitude, and an experienced educator who is eager to invest their artistic and technical skills in The Emery/Weiner School program.
The Emery/Weiner School is an independent, college-preparatory middle and high school that offers top-ranked academics, educates the whole child, and inculcates a unique student culture in an environment infused with pluralistic Judaism. Students carry with them the spirit of Tikkun Olam as they pursue an education not only for their own benefit but also to help improve the world in which they live. Our academic program encompasses traditional and progressive methods. While we stress the development of traditional academic skills, we also engage in experiential learning outside the walls of the classroom. Our culture is one that empowers students, instilling a sense of responsibility that extends to the outside community. The result is a learning partnership in which students feel a sense of ownership in the institution and — more importantly — graduate with a profound sense of self and moral self-reliance.
- Design and oversee build of scenery, lighting, sound, props, and projections for major productions throughout the school year;
- In collaboration with show directors, oversee the design and execution of all technical aspects of all productions;
- Manage pre- and post-production: Work with show directors to create checklists, plans, and timelines for design, build, and strike for all productions;
- Manage/assist set-up, operation, and maintenance of sound, lighting, and AV equipment for events, assemblies, and concerts;
- Maintain organization of backstage and booth spaces including the scene shop and storage;
- Provide instruction and training to students in at the following areas: scenic design and construction, lighting design and rigging, sound design and engineering;
- Mentor and instruct students with an interest in technical theatre including work in the following areas: scenic design and construction, lighting design and rigging, sound design, projection design and realization, stage management and rehearsal etiquette;
- Teach Technical Theatre and Design courses as assigned;
- Maintain a safe and inclusive working environment;
- Attend initial design meetings with directors and weekly production meetings with theatre team;
- Assign crews to run/operate events and performances;
- Attend all technical rehearsals and organize needed support;
- Coordinate the deconstruction/strike of all scenery and restore the space;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Fine Arts.
- Knowledge of the ETC EOS family of lighting consoles and Yamaha QL5 Digital sound boards;
- Ability to design and build sets and props for productions;
- Ability to design and run lights and sound for staged productions, concerts, and events;
- Ability to teach and manage students as they design, use power tools, build, paint, and run technical theater equipment;
- Ability to operate power tools and regularly lift heavy loads;
- Ability to work nights and evenings as needed;
- A bachelor’s degree (in Technical Theatre preferred);
- 1 or more years of teaching experience preferred;
- 3-5 years working in professional/educational technical theatre;
- Ability to be flexible, resilient, and creative while working within a fast-paced environment;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a track record for building strong relationships with both students and colleagues;
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to learn new systems quickly.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- The candidate must be able to manipulate objects and tools and repair pieces of equipment;
- This job is performed in a multi-building school environment with stairways and ladders;
- Able to carry, move, and push or lift heavy objects and equipment.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, their résumé, and 3-5 references to email@example.com. (References will not be contacted without notifying the candidate first.)