OBU Mission Statement
As a Christian liberal arts university, OBU transforms lives by equipping students to pursue academic excellence, integrate faith with all areas of knowledge, engage a diverse world, and live worthy of the high calling of God in Christ.
Expectations for all Employees
Oklahoma Baptist University achieves its mission through a shared commitment to the following expectations. All employees are expected to embrace these expectations and to model them in their behavior.
• Commitment to the essentials of the Christian faith.
• People are treated with dignity and respect.
• Relationships are built on honesty, integrity, and trust.
• Excellence is achieved through teamwork, leadership, and a strong work ethic.
• Efficiency is achieved through wise management of human and financial resources.
The purpose of the Chair Division of Music/Assistant or Associate Professor of Music is to enhance the Division of Music by leading the music faculty teaching related undergraduate courses, recruiting talented students to pursue a degree within the Division of Music, and promoting the work and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University.
• Provide private lessons or classes in content specialty to both students pursuing a degree in music, those pursuing a minor in music, as well as students taking lessons or classes as an elective or secondary performance area
• Teach undergraduate courses related music content specialty
• Recruit students to study music and to pursue one of the degrees offered by the Division of Music
• Remain active as a performer in professional stage and church settings
• Maintain membership and participate in appropriate professional organizations
• Advise undergraduate students
• Contribute to administrative tasks, including service on departmental and university committees
• Travel occasionally to recruit prospective students and to accompany current students to performance opportunities, such as NATS, TMEA, OkMEA, TMTA, and OMTA
• Collaborate with colleagues and students within and beyond the Division of Music to create and promote excellent musical and academic experiences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstration of strong skills in music content area such as: Choral Conducting, Music Education, Vocal, Theory/Composition
• Proven teaching abilities at the undergraduate level in appropriate music content area
• Knowledge of current pedagogical approaches in appropriate content area
• Keyboard abilities appropriate to appropriate content area
• Experience with recruitment and retention; and
• Interpersonal skills for regular interaction and collaboration with prospective and current students as well as faculty, staff, administration, supporters, and guests of the university