Stoneleigh-Burnham School, an independent girls’ boarding and day school for grades 7-12, seeks an experienced, dynamic full-time instrumental music teacher for the 2023-2024 school year, effective August 2023.
Located in the Pioneer Valley, a short drive from the Five College Consortium (University of Massachusetts and Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and Amherst Colleges), Stoneleigh-Burnham School is the only girls’ school in New England to offer the IB Diploma Programme and attracts students from the local area and around the world. Our mission centers around helping our students discover and use their authentic voices. Faculty who thrive at SBS are collaborative and dynamic colleagues who are excited by professional growth and excellence in teaching, deeply passionate about education, and committed to fostering an inclusive community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach Jazz Ensemble and String Ensemble groups
- Teach International Baccalaureate Music, Years 1 and 2
- Teach World Music elective
- Possible opportunity to propose and develop new courses
- Represent and promote instrumental music program internally and externally
- Collaborate in staging performances at least six times per year
- Supervise co-curricular activities (e.g. coaching, clubs, community service activities, etc.)
- Other responsibilities include: advising students, serving on committees, and other routine duties
- Residential duty and campus housing a possibility
Qualities and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Piano (and accompaniment) experience preferred
- Sound reinforcement/PA experience helpful
- Demonstrated experience in and/or working knowledge of musical instruments
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to connect with and make a positive impact on young people
- Experience in and demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion work that supports a diverse community
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional growth and development
- The desire to work in a boarding school community and be invested in campus life
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Shelley Futter, Assistant to the Deans
In order to achieve our mission of preparing students to actively engage a diverse and inclusive world we must first emulate the values we hope to instill in our students. Stoneleigh-Burnham is committed to increasing the diversity — in backgrounds and in experiences — of our faculty, staff and student community.
Stoneleigh-Burnham strives to hire and support an inclusive community of employees; candidates from communities that are statistically and systemically underrepresented in independent schools are encouraged to apply. Stoneleigh-Burnham School is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School is an academic community that fosters an international perspective. We inspire girls to pursue meaningful lives based on honor, respect, and intellectual curiosity. Each student is challenged to discover her best self and graduate with confidence to think independently and act ethically, secure in the knowledge that her voice will be heard.
To learn more about Stoneleigh-Burnham School, please visit our website: sbschool.org.