Wells College invites applicants for a Visiting Assistant Professor position in Theatrical Design and Technology to begin in August 2023. This is a full-time, one-year position with potential for renewal.
We seek a skilled colleague who can transmit their technical expertise through innovative and inclusive approaches to teaching and has a demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity. The ideal candidate will bring a professional record in production management, technical direction, and theatrical design, and can encourage connectivity between current Wells College Theatre students, alums, and professional theatrical artists. A successful candidate will have the ability to teach courses in theatre management, production management, stagecraft, and theatrical design. This person will design and build 2-3 productions a year and assist with the maintenance of a 483-seat proscenium theatre, flexible 99 seat black box, and the production shop. It is expected that this person will effectively supervise and train student workers as emerging designers and stage managers. In this search, Wells College wishes to reinforce its commitment to increase faculty and staff diversity, recognizing that to provide a diverse learning environment is to prepare students for personal and professional success in a multicultural society. We strongly encourage applications from practitioner-teachers who embrace equity, accessibility, anti-racist pedagogies, and inclusion. Candidates from underrepresented groups at Wells, including indigenous, black, TLGBQIA+, and people with disabilities, are especially encouraged to apply.
Wells College is a nationally recognized, small, private four-year Liberal Arts college located in the Finger Lakes region of New York on the unceded lands of the Cayuga Nation. The mission of Wells College is to educate students to think critically, reason wisely, and act humanely as they cultivate meaningful lives. Wells College is the leader in providing immersive academic experiences tailored by each student. Our historic campus in a lakeside setting that is ideally conducive to deep learning is home to over 150 years of evolving, inclusive traditions that bind Wellsians across generations. Recognizing the role of higher education in supporting students from all backgrounds to lead in the future, Wells College actively seeks to diversify its faculty and staff. We strive to embody a culture of belonging that empowers all of our students -- 35% of whom identify as students of color and 32% who are first-generation -- to thrive.
- MFA or terminal degree in related field
- Significant professional credits as technical director and/or designer at the regional level
- Expertise in production management
- Expertise in technical direction and theatrical design (scenic design, lights, and/or sound)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and/or VectorWorks.
- Teaching experience at the college level
- Interest in interdisciplinarity
- Familiarity with stage management, theatre management, and theatre administration
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and mentorship skills
Essential Job Functions:
- Teach three theatre management and/or design courses per semester
- Design and build 2-3 productions per year
- Co-manage the production shop with Studio Art
- Assist with the creation and management of curriculum, production season, and budgets for Wells College Theatre Department
- Advising and assisting students in academic and professional pursuits; this includes, but is not limited to, senior theses, internships, and professional networking in and out of the classroom.
- Supporting Wells College through participation in admissions events, service on faculty committees, and community engagement and outreach
Pay Range: Commensurate with experience
Application Instructions: Please apply online at https://www.wells.edu/employment
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position
- A current CV
- Three samples of professional work (website, images, video, designs, etc.)
- A statement that highlights your contributions to equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Names and contact information for three professional references
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
First Review of Applications will begin February 24, 2023.