Rider University seeks a Properties Supervisor to support performance and production activities. This is a part-time staff position that reports to the Technical Director. The position is open until filled, and the successful candidate will start at the earliest possible time.
The Properties Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of the prop shop personnel in the acquisition and construction of the various decorative and functional props in a collaborative design process with the scenic designer. The Props Director closely coordinates with the scenic, lighting, sound, and costuming departments when any technical needs overlap among those departments. The production season runs from September to May. The schedule for this position varies and is flexible, but does include extended hours, evenings and weekends, especially during technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals and productions.
The Properties Supervisor has a direct impact on musical theatre, opera theatre, and theater programs, providing a professional product to each production. The supervisor is expected to attend all technical rehearsals.
· Coordinate and manage student staff with the construction, pulling, purchasing, renting and/or altering of all properties, which include but are not limited to hand props, furniture, and set dressing, for mainstage productions.
· Coordinate/collaborate with the stage director, scenic designer, technical director, and other departments as necessary.
· Create prototypes, sketches, samples, and other proofs of concept as needed.
· Maintain and adhere to the props budget on each production; recommend purchases and rentals as needed.
· Attend all production meetings, technical rehearsals, and run-throughs for mainstage productions.
· Ensure that all props, materials, furniture and other set pieces are cleaned and returned to proper storage at end of each production.
· As needed and appropriate, assist in supervising painting of scenic designs.
· Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Production Management or the Technical Director.
· Supervise student crews during production hours and technical rehearsals.
· Supervise student employees in organizing and maintaining warehouse properties storage.
· Supervise student employees in managing the maintenance of properties stock and organization of rentals as needed.
· Promote a safe and healthy work/learning environment alongside other staff and faculty.
· Promote & practice safety and security procedures.
Minimum of high school diploma and 2 years experience in theatrical props construction.
Ability to source vendors and rental shops.
Ability to interpret designer and construction drawings, sketches, and paint elevations.
Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with students, staff, and faculty.
Strong problem-solving and communication skills and the ability to approach challenges collaboratively.
Able to work various hours and occasional work on nights and weekends.
Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work quickly and accurately with attention to detail, maintaining a positive attitude in fast-paced and rapid-changing environments.
Position Preferred Qualifications/Experience:
Proficiency with hand and power tools.
Ability to work from ladders and/or aerial lifts.
Ability to safely lift 50 lbs.
Experience as a scenic painter or painting supervisor
About Rider University:
The Rider University community is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds.
Rider University is committed to fostering an inclusive, vibrant living and learning community that embraces students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds and enables them to achieve success.
Through reflection and open, respectful dialogue, we develop responsible citizens who demonstrate academic understanding and compassion to grow and serve as leaders in a diverse and global world.
Candidates with a demonstrated commitment supportive of the multicultural needs of Rider University and the surrounding community are highly desired.
Rider University has been included as one of the nation's best universities by US News & World Report and remained in the top tier in the Regional Universities – North category. Additionally, The Princeton Review named Rider among its
Internal Number: 7750
About Rider University
"As a learner-centered University dedicated to the education of the whole student, Rider provides students the intellectual resources and breadth of student life opportunities of a comprehensive university with the personal attention and close student-faculty interactions of a liberal arts college.Through a commitment to high quality teaching, scholarship and experiential opportunities, faculty on both campuses provide undergraduate and graduate students rigorous and relevant programs of study to expand their intellectual, cultural and personal horizons and develop their leadership skills. Our highly regarded programs in the arts, social sciences, sciences, music, business and education challenge students to become active learners who can acquire, interpret, communicate and apply knowledge within and across disciplines to foster the integrative thinking required in a complex and rapidly changing world."