Visit Grand Junction's Business Analyst performs a variety of financial and business analysis duties including managing the annual budget, researching, interpreting, and analyzing local & industry data, identifying meaningful insights, to determine overall fiscal, operational, and service impacts. Candidate must possess solid financial acumen combined with strong analytical skills and a strategic view of marketing & performance metrics to drive meaningful insights & advanced decision making. The Business Analyst will assist in overseeing a fast-paced office, manage and collaborate with the marketing staff on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines, and manage & supervise assigned staff. The strong candidate will have a love for research and thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
What You'll Do (Duties & Responsibilities):
• Project, formulate, and manage the Visit Grand Junction annual budget and perform detailed financial and business operation analysis data, including long-range forecasting of revenue generation, expenditures, cost and margin analysis, and ROI, to identify and report meaningful insights, trends, issues, and opportunities to mitigate risk and improve business operations and processes. Provide highly responsible and complex financial support to management and staff.
• Regularly monitor, conduct, and analyze industry & marketing research, while evaluating the state of the economy, to determine travel and tourism trends and insights. Analyze, model, and interpret patterns and trends, and create visualizations using Visit Grand Junction’s Tableau platform to ensure accurate analysis and projections. Conduct competitive research and analyze benchmarking data. Ensure marketing initiatives and financial objectives such as growth, margins and productivity are appropriately analyzed and aligned with the budget.
• Manage and supervise the work and activities of assigned staff, including onboarding; participate in the selection of staff; and work with employees to correct deficiencies and implement discipline procedures as needed. Manage and oversee department operations, and work closely with the Director to resolve challenges and provide recommendations for quality and process improvement. Manage multiple, complex, and intricate marketing projects and strategic initiatives.
• Assist with projects, reports, and presentations including preparation for board meetings, staff meetings, community programs, agency proposals, contract management, stakeholder services, and annual plans & reports.
About the Area: Grand Junction, Colorado is centrally located between Denver, CO (250 miles east) and Salt Lake City, UT (270 miles west), and is surrounded by 1.5 million acres of public land, which is 76 percent of Mesa County. Attractions include a wide variety of outdoor recreation on the Colorado and Gunnison Rivers, Colorado National Monument and the Grand Mesa. Grand Junction has a robust downtown and hosts multiple art, music, and food events annually. With a population of over 150,000 in Mesa County (65,000 within the City limits), Grand Junction offers most city amenities without the typical large metro challenges such as traffic and trail congestion. With an average of 245 days of sunshine, and a year-round temperate climate, Grand Junction is the perfect place to work and play. See Visit Grand Junction for videos and information.
About Visit Grand Junction: Visit Grand Junction (Visit GJ), the destination marketing organization, is a Department of the City of Grand Junction. Visit GJ is dedicated to marketing the Grand Junction area, outside of Mesa County, to attract year-round tourism, thereby providing for a sustainable and consistent economy and enhanced quality of life for residents. The team consists of dynamic individuals who are culture-focused, innovative, driven, and dedicated to supporting the tourism industry while reaching departmental goals that serve the community and guests. About Our Culture: The City focuses on continuous improvement, collaborative partnerships, and exemplary service. The Core Values are demonstrated by a willingness to challenge the status quo, ability to work together using all areas of expertise to achieve a common goal, and commitment to fulfilling the needs of the community through thoughtful interactions. The City of Grand Junction welcomes employees who share these values.
What We Offer: The City of Grand Junction offers an excellent benefits package that supports quality work-life balance including health and dental insurance, retirement, paid leave, a City employee health clinic, and a wellness program.
The City offers a 15-step pay plan. The hiring range for a Business Analyst is $6,156.80 - $6,929.87 monthly, which represents steps 1 to 5 of our pay plan. Each year, with the approval of City Council, employees receive an additional step/pay increase of 2.5%.
Supplemental Information: For hearing/speech/visually impaired dial 711 (TTY). Contact Human Resources at (970) 244-1512 with questions. The City of Grand Junction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
What We're Looking For (Qualifications):
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Finance, Accounting, Business Management, or a related field, or commensurate professional experience.
• Proven analytical ability and high level of mathematical intelligence.
• Ability to analyze, model, and interpret data, and produce clear graphical visualizations using Excel, Tableau, and Power BI; must be able to write and edit analytical reports proficiently with keen attention to detail.
• Ability to transform complex facts and figures into visualizations and commentary that can be easily understood. • Strong written and verbal communication skills, including technical copy-editing skills.
• Ability to manage, supervise, and direct work of assigned staff. Proven management and supervisory experience is desired.
• Understanding or ability to learn programming languages and platforms, including Tableau and Power BI; advanced proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications.
• Understanding of marketing and willingness to learn industry insights.
• Project management experience; capable of independent judgment and strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Ability to manage competing priorities and apply effective organization and time management skills to meet deadlines.
• Capable of working well independently and collaborating in a team environment.
• Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and acquires skills related to the position, especially due to the fast-paced and always-changing marketing industry.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, progressive, always evolving work product, and collaborative team environment
• Must foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, trust, and accountability.
• Must be ambitious, conscientious, and curious.
• Must be comfortable with a data-oriented organization and enjoy being challenged.
Additional Salary Information: Each year, with the approval of City Council, employees receive an additional step/pay increase of 2.5%.
About Visit Grand Junction
Visit Grand Junction (Visit GJ), the City of Grand Junction’s destination marketing organization, executes marketing targeted toward potential visitors outside of Mesa County to promote year-round travel to Grand Junction, during appropriate times of the year. Through destination management strategies, travel and tourism enhances the quality of life for residents, ignites economic development, supports the workforce, and strengthens economic sustainability.