● The successful candidate will have a firm foundation in Public School Instrumental Music Education in the United States.
● The successful candidate will be well aware of the current best practices in the field of Instrumental Music Education.
● The successful candidate will be looking toward the future of innovation and social justice in the field of music, especially in providing access to public music education in marginalized communities.
● They will be the conductor of our wind ensembles including the acclaimed Portland State Wind Symphony which appears regularly at professional conferences throughout the Northwest, and other University concert bands.
● They will teach instrumental conducting classes and instrumental methods classes for a large cohort of skilled Music Education majors.
● They will work with the instrumental applied faculty to recruit Instrumental Performance and Music Education majors as well as non-music major members for the concert bands.
● Developing and maintaining relations with public school ensemble directors, recruitment, and community outreach will be an important aspect of the position.
Portland State's College of the Arts has made a strong commitment to anti-racism and is seeking faculty whose life-experience, research, and teaching can advance this work throughout our campus and community. This position is one of two full-time positions (Opera/Voice, and Director of Bands) open in the School of Music and Theater through which we intend to advance our work promoting equity, diversity and inclusion.
● A proven record of public school teaching and band conducting experience (minimum of 5 years)
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Teaching experience with a variety of age groups
● Teaching experience in underserved communities
● Experience with anti-racist educational pedagogy
Internal Number: 36578
About Portland State University
Located in Portland, Oregon, one of the nation's most livable cities, the University's innovative approach to education combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. The University's 49-acre downtown campus exhibits Portland State's commitment to sustainability with green buildings, while many of the 124 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees incorporate sustainability into the curriculum. PSU's motto, "Let Knowledge Serve the City," inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe. PSU seeks talented individuals who understand our values and strategic goals and enjoy sharing ideas and collaborating in an environment of mutual respect to achieve those values and goals. We are committed to leading through engagement and seek individuals who support this strategy. Engagement describes Portland State's collaborative approach to the exchange of knowledge and resources with local, regional, national, and global partners for mutual benefit of students, faculty, and the community. As a component of the Diversity Action Plan and the President's... Strategic Mission of achieving global excellence, Portland State University strives to become an institution that is recognized nationally and internationally for the accomplishments of its faculty, the reputation of its programs, and the preparation of it students as world citizens. For more information visit http://www.pdx.edu/about-portland-state