The Theater Program in the Department of Arts, Culture and Media invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure track, calendar-year Lecturer (Instructor) beginning June 1, 2022 to serve as technical director of the program, for an appointment of up to two-and-one half years. In addition to teaching two technical theater courses in the fall and spring semesters, general responsibilities will include production support and technical operation activities, along with other academic and administrative duties. Additionally, the position will:
· Collaborate with directors, designers, and technical staff to plan and implement scenic designs of the main stage productions.
· Work hands-on and in partnership to build and install scenic, lighting, video, sound, and related technical aspects of the main stage productions.
· Manage day-to-day operation of the theater in the 110 Warren building and spaces related to that theater.
As the position has a critical role in stage productions, responsibilities will necessitate participation in productions, rehearsals, and other events.
The Theater Program is a joint program between Rutgers University-Newark and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT).
The successful candidate will have a commitment to excellence in undergraduate education through advancing and supporting initiatives that deepen pedagogical knowledge and sustain motivated learning in all students, particularly students from underrepresented backgrounds. Rutgers non-tenure track positions have competitive salary and benefits.
Minimum Education and Experience:
· B.A. or BFA in Technical Theater or Technical Director of Theater.
· Minimum of five years' experience in professional technical theater, with experience in theatrical construction and stagecraft, rigging systems, shop supervision and administration.
· Proficiency with CAD packages, Vector works, and other pertinent technology.
· Three to five years of supervisory experience with stage production and theater management.
· Extensive experience with stage lighting and stage audio equipment, including maintenance, operation, programming, and running of the systems.
· Competence in the range of managerial functions required in the technical operations of a theater.
Advanced degree preferred.
Posting Number: 21FA1388
Location: Rutgers University-Newark
Internal Number: 148492
About Rutgers University
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that breaks new ground; and to turning knowledge into solutions for local, national, and global communities. As it was at our founding in 1766, the heart of our mission is preparing students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. Rutgers teaches across the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate to graduate and postdoctoral; and continuing education for professional and personal advancement. Rutgers is New Jersey's land-grant institution and one of the nation's foremost research universities, and as such, we educate, make discoveries, serve as an engine of economic growth, and generate ideas for improving people's lives.