1. Assist the management and maintenance of all aspects of the scenic shop operations and equipment.
2. Serve as Scenic Shop Technician/Carpenter for all scenic shop builds and operations.
3. Maintain quality of construction processes through monitoring student and professional work force.
4. Assist the Technical Director in coordinating and assigning student activities in technical preparation for Pfeiffer Hall, Madden Theatre, and Meiley-Swallow Hall theatre activities.
5. Maintain the organization of scenic shop and performing arts venue storage facilities; maintain and organize Scenic Shop equipment, tools, and inventory; and assist in the service of Scenic Shop equipment and tools.
6. Assist Technical Director and Department Chair to develop and enforce safety policies and procedures in the Scenic Shop relating to proper use of tools, safety equipment, proper ventilation, where applicable, and general safety issues. Conduct safety trainings.
7. Serve as the Department's liaison to the College's Chemical Hygiene and Safety Officer.
8. Oversee building needs and interact with custodial and maintenance staff to meet those needs; coordinate office moves; maintain copier, printers, and maintain adequate supply of office supplies. Collect, sort, and distribute mail for the departmental faculty.
9. Provide administrative support to department chair and faculty within the department, including support for external accreditation requirements and tasks associated with recruiting faculty and staff. Examples of support tasks: completing required paperwork to set up new faculty; orientating new employees to buildings and campus; renewing memberships and subscriptions; preparing purchase orders for reimbursements for faculty and staff; monitoring budgets for department; taking minutes at department meetings; maintaining department files; maintaining departmental websites and other online forms of communication (i.e., social media); and scheduling appointments.
10. Confer with department chairs regarding staffing of courses; prepare requests for contracts for part-time hiring; communicate to Registrar changes in course schedule including time and staffing changes; prepare and process course proposals and amendments; manage book order process and request course book desk copies; input and proof data in Excel for annual academic course schedule for departments.
11. Supervise assigned student worker(s); participate in selection, provide and/or ensure adequate training, schedule and assign work, monitor performance, and provide appropriate mentoring.
12. Serve as liaison with the College of Arts & Sciences Administrative Assistant and the Office of Academic Affairs.
13. Other duties and responsibilities as appropriately assigned.
A bachelor's degree with four years of college training in the technical aspects of performing arts or a minimum of two years' experience in a professional work environment.
Proven skills in carpentry and operation of scenic shop equipment/tools. Knowledge of a computerized work environment. Ability to make routine machine and equipment repairs. Proven supervisory or managerial capability.
Licenses or Certifications:
A valid Illinois driver's license is required.
To provide support to the Theatre Department Technical Director regarding scenic shop equipment, set and properties construction, operations, supervision of students during shop hours, and to assist with routine production support. To provide administrative assistance and related support to the Theatre Department Chair and Faculty.
Work Schedule: 40 hours/week from August 1-May 15; 15-20 hrs./week May 16-July 31.
Internal Number: 8696
About North Central College
North Central College, founded in 1861, is a selective, comprehensive liberal arts institution of 3000 students located 28 miles west of Chicago in Naperville, within walking distance of the Naperville Metra station. For information about the College, please visit the website at https://www.northcentralcollege.edu.