Celebrity Series of Boston is seeking a thoughtful, relationship-driven advancement professional with a passion for fundraising to join our 7-person advancement team as Associate Director of Individual Giving. This advancement leader is responsible for the oversight, growth, and implementation of Celebrity Series’ individual giving program which raises vital funds in support of the artistic and community programs of the Celebrity Series of Boston. This includes identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of individual donors in various stages of qualification; overseeing, growing, and implementing Celebrity Series’ planned giving program; and supervising the Senior Coordinator of Individual Giving and Communications.
The Associate Director of Individual Giving reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and is responsible for, but not limited to, the following functions:
Management and Oversight
• Lead and grow Celebrity Series’ individual giving program, which currently yields approximately $600K-$700K annually from annual fund and Dress Circle donors. Develop new plans and strategies to acquire, upgrade, and renew donors giving $1,250 or more to the organization annually. Ensure that Celebrity Series reaches annual targets for both revenue growth, donor retention, and department activity. • Lead and grow Celebrity Series’ planned giving program, the Aaron Richmond Legacy Society; develop communications plans and solicitation strategies designed to increase the number of individuals providing for Celebrity Series in their estate plans. • Supervise the Senior Coordinator for Individual Giving and Communications, whose responsibilities include oversight of Celebrity Series’ $250,000 annual fund, general development communications, and messaging/Marketing Department liaison.
Relationship-building and Fundraising
• Serve as primary point of contact for a portfolio of 200-250 individual funders in various stages of cultivation. Develop high-touch moves management plans for top donors and strategies to deepen individuals’ relationship with Celebrity Series in support of a major gifts-centric fundraising model. • Regularly meet mutually agreed-upon portfolio activity and revenue targets. • Serve as primary point of contact for Celebrity Series’ Board of Overseers (name change pending in September). Develop strategies for engagement, recruitment, and retention of this growing and important group of leadership volunteers. • Serve as primary point of contact for Celebrity Series’ Stewardship Sub-Committee, primarily comprised of members of Celebrity Series’ Boards of Directors and Overseers. Oversee committee assignments for performance touchpoints, additional projects, and overall strategy. • Solicit portfolio donors for Celebrity Series’ annual SHINE! Gala; in conjunction with Senior Manager of Events and Operations, support SHINE! committees, including Young Professionals and Auction committees. • Supervise and manage fulfillment of Dress Circle and Annual Fund benefits by Senior Coordinator of Individual Giving and Communications
• Maintain individual donor records in Tessitura database; proof and edit individual acknowledgements. Regularly update database on donor activity. • Maintain a working knowledge of best practices in individual fundraising and trends in philanthropy. • Regularly attend Celebrity Series digital and live events as necessary to foster relationships, and participate in performance staffing rotation for the Advancement department.
Celebrity Series offices are located at 20 Park Plaza, Suite 1032, Boston, MA. All work is currently being conducted remotely and will continue until at least September 1, 2021. Remote work is expected to remain a partial component of the work environment.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements as a single PDF to Emily Borababy at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Director of Individual Giving.” Applicants are encouraged to apply by August 11. No phone calls, please.
• Minimum of 5 years of related experience in development/advancement • Ability to effectively represent the Celebrity Series and its mission to all constituencies. • Excellent verbal and written communication skills. • Proven track record of successful management of individual donor relationships. • A customer-service focused approach to donor relations and collaborative approach to project management • Demonstrated ability to influence and lead laterally across internal departments in support of fundraising efforts. • Highly organized individual with ability to handle multiple projects and deliverables efficiently and effectively. • Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). • Proficiency with Tessitura software is a plus. • Some night and weekend work is required.
• Confident, thoughtful self-starter and finisher who is creative, collaborative, and team oriented. • Emotionally mature, with a sense of humor, and ability to achieve results when working collaboratively with a wide variety of people and ideas. • Strong listening skills and cultural sensitivity towards people of various ages, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. • Commitment to advancing active anti-racism efforts in the workplace and a deep personal interest in Celebrity Series’ ongoing Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts. • Affinity for Boston and its cultural entities; knowledge of and passionate connection to the Greater Boston performing arts scene a plus. • Commitment to personal growth, and the emotional awareness to navigate change effectively. • Willingness to continuously challenge norms and embrace new ideas and ways of working.
About Celebrity Series of Boston
With a mission to present performing artists who inspire and enrich our community, Celebrity Series, founded in 1938, has become a mainstay of Boston’s cultural life by bringing a widening spectrum of performers to Boston’s major concert halls. CSB presents over 70 mainstage performances in 8 to 10 different venues, and over 150 community engagement activities annually. Celebrity Series’ audiences experience the world’s great orchestras, chamber ensembles and soloists, and leading artists in contemporary dance, jazz, world, and folk music, and spoken word. Alongside mainstage performances, CSB’s Arts for All! community engagement programs connect it with a dynamic network of hundreds of community collaborators, reaching thousands of individuals annually, through 150+ activities. During the COVID-19 pandemic, performances have been live streamed (free and paid) through its website as Celebrity Series @ Home. While initially pursued as a response to the shutdown of live performances, streamed content will remain an important and complementary strategy when live, in-person performances return. Learn more at www.celebrityseries.org.
The Celebrity Series of Boston, Inc. is an equal... opportunity employer and welcomes applications from candidates demonstrating diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and national origin. Celebrity Series is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, artist and audience focus, and innovation.