Responsible for coordinating costume needs within the Zoellner Arts Center, home of the Department of Theatre, Guest Artist Series and the Music Department. Collaborates with designers to create costumes for Department of Theatre productions. Manages the costume shop, maintains budgets and inventory, and ensures safety procedures are followed. Teaches and provides leadership in the area of costume technology. Supervises wage, work study and student workers. Seeks professional development and enhanced craftsmanship.The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Provide leadership in costume technology *Create a pedagogical presence in shops and Theatres *Oversee technical and dress rehearsal, wardrobe crew and strike *Schedule and plan for long range *Empower students and staff
2. Create the best costumes possible with the available resources *Work with Designers, Stage Managers and Directors effectively *Integrate production and class activities as appropriate *Explore a varieties of methods, techniques and materials *Communicate budgetary priorities
3. Provide the highest quality of instruction *Teach as Adjunct Instructor in Costume Technology and Costume Construction *Update course content with most current technology and standards *Provide non-traditional instruction per production needs *Participate in curriculum Development
4. Coordinate Costume Shop and related spaces and resources *Create an inviting and inclusive atmosphere *Manage and motivate personnel; students and staff *Manage and maintain equipment and tools *Ensure safety procedures are followed *Complete additional duties as assigned
5. Professional development and enhanced craftsmanship *Participate in outside activities and organizations *Attend specialized training and instruction *Look for opportunities for development *Network with regional and national peers
Position Number: S87320
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Shifts will vary a few weeks per semester; this will be determined by the production calendar
Periods of High Volume, workload or overtime
Occasional evening, holiday or weekend hours
Will sometimes be required to sit, stand, reach, use hands to touch or feel, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift up to 50 pounds
Will sometimes work in area subject to electrical hazards, frequent vibration, fumes or airborne particles and near moving mechanical parts
Master's Degree in Costume Design and Technology; Terminal Degree in field
Three to five years related work experience
Professional experience in advanced patterning and construction processes preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to complete projects on time and on budget, and report on status and progress
Supervisory experience preferred
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499618
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.