Kidznotes seeks a dynamic individual to lead its mission as Executive Director, to begin July 5, 2017.
Kidznotes is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to change the life trajectory of underserved children through orchestral music instruction. Kidznotes is inspired by El Sistema, Venezuela’s world-renowned National System of Children and Youth Orchestras established in 1975, which has transformed the lives of over two million children from impoverished circumstances in Venezuela and replicated around the world. Kidznotes was founded in Durham, North Carolina in 2009. In the 2016-17 school year, Kidznotes enrolled 400 public school students in grades Pre-K – 9, partnering with ten Title 1 elementary schools in Raleigh and Durham. By 2020, our goal is to serve 1,000, K-12th grade students annually in the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Kidznotes provides full scholarships for each student, 10 hours of orchestral training each week, an instrument of their own, lessons in music theory and literacy and opportunities throughout the year to excel and perform.
Kidznotes has an intense instructional focus in music theory, instrumental technique, and choir taught by El Sistema trained instructors. In addition to their age-group ensembles, Kidznotes students take part in small ensembles such as Jazz Band, String Quartet, String Orchestra, and Bucket Band.
Kidznotes has 11 full and part time staff and 45 contracted conductors and teachers. This is a fiscally solid nonprofit organization with an operating budget for the 2016 fiscal year of $1,066,000. Kidznotes is poised to embark on the next phase of its evolution based upon the 2020 Strategic Plan set forth by the Board of Directors and the high-level student instruction and community engagement created by the founding Executive Director, Katie Wyatt.
A successful candidate will have experience as a nonprofit Executive Director or in a senior level leadership position with demonstrated success as a leader, manager and fundraiser. Additional experience will include the ability to:
- work collaboratively with a Board of Directors on major initiatives, including capital campaigns;
- represent Kidznotes to other arts, education, civic and community organizations and public events;
- identify, cultivate and solicit high level individual donors and corporate sponsorships;
- be analytical and detail oriented, yet able to see the big picture,
- appreciate the importance of music in shaping the lives of children
- thrive in a fast–paced work environment and able to manage multiple priorities;
- be a team player and builder, with excellent interpersonal oral and written communication skills;
- demonstrate impeccable integrity and good judgment;
- be a creative intellectual with a strong work ethic and a good sense of humor;
- work evenings and weekends.
A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree or commensurate experience in music performance and/or education, nonprofit or arts administration, Spanish fluency preferred.
Competitive salary and benefits.
Please send your cover letter and resume as one document to: EDsearch@kidznotes.org.
Deadline: Friday, February 17 by 5PM. No phone calls please.